Finally In The Water

I finally got my sailboat, Island Time, in to the water for the year. It's not like I didn't have enough time to do all the things that I had dreamed up over the winter. But....

May 30 came along too quickly and I just had to have it splashed by then. May 30 was my Mom's birthday and I always like to go for a sail and toast to her life with her favorite drink (and one of mine) a rye & water. I call it the rye & water day sail. Not much different than other sails but this one is official!

This year I just made it. On May 30th my son Gavin (13) and I hauled the boat to the lake and with his help we stepped the mast. We launched the boat and went for a burgers & fries lunch at the Hot & Frosty. After lunch we went back to the marina to tighten the shrouds, attach the boom and put on the sails. I had a great time with Gavin helping me this year. It was real nice to spend the time together.

Just as we were finishing my brother-in-law Kevin and my niece's boyfriend Zach joined us. It was calm but we managed to find a bit of a breeze and went for a sail and toasted my Mom. She was a firecracker and really lived her life.

This year and every year I power polished the boat. It is a 1977 and the paint is very oxidized. By fall it will be faded off again. I use a marine polish but any power automotive polish (with grit) will work.

May 30 was approaching so I had to work fast.

Every year the white topsides seem to get very spotted and grey. I think it is mildew but the fish flies at the lake also leave a mess. Scrubbing with a brush and rinsing will work but a power washer is soooo much easier. It takes a while but the result is worth it. Real stubborn areas come clean with a bit of Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover.

Not to worry, I cleaned the whole top.

I also wanted to add a steaming light that I didn't have before. A steaming light is required when you motor at night in addition to the red & green bow light and white stern light needed when you sail at night. I ordered a LED light from Amazon and then had to decide how to mount a flat backed light to a round mast.

I didn't like how the light was sealed so I added some butyl tape to seal it up tight. I found an old washroom sign in the scrap metal bin at work. It was made out of a light stainless steel. My friend Danny cut it for me in his shop and I shaped it back at home in my shop. We fished the wires up the mast after drilling a 5/16 hole just above the spreaders.

Danny soldered the wires and protected them with some heat shrink tubing. I then drilled 2 -1/8 holes on each side and mounted it with rivets. It turned out great.  It's always fun to work on a project with a friend (beer).

In the next post I'll tell you about beefing up the boom gooseneck after it broke on me last year in heavy winds

If you enjoyed this post, I'd really appreciate it if you could help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks & Cheers! Daryl